My artistic experience stretches from illustration to graphic design, from filmmaking to theatre, and from education to writing. Starting out as an animation filmmaker and actor, I discovered the power of storytelling. Inquisitive to various media to tell my stories, yet never settling on one particular medium, I gave up trying to specialize and instead embrace the art form most suitable to tell a particular story.
For more than 20 years now, I have been working as a professional illustrator and visual designer. I have provided drawings and designs for colouring pages, comic strips, brochures, websites, animations, and online learning materials.
Throughout the years, I have experimented with many techniques. And, because I told you I can't choose, I either use an old-fashioned piece of paper and draw on it with a black pen and some markers, or I grab my iPad and stylus and start drawing in Procreate. Both methods are satisfying in their own way!
Below you see, from left to right: my studio, the tools of the trade, and my portrait.
I started writing for the animation films I produced. Soon, the exciting world of live theatre propelled me to try my hand at writing for theatre. In 2018 my short play, ‘Revolutionizing Death’, was performed at the New Brunswick Dramafest reaping various prizes and jury accolades.
My experience in writing for film and theatre gave me the idea to write a fictional work and resulted in the novel ‘The Circus Was in Town’.
I invite you to follow me on Instagram to see new work, sketches, and work in progress: instagram.com/richardduijnstee
Please reach out when you have questions via my Contact Page!
Some more info about me:
- Born in The Hague, The Netherlands, not quite half a century ago.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts degree (Royal Academy of Art, The Hague, 1996).
- Masters in Education (University of New Brunswick, 2017).
- Moved to Canada in 2008.
- Employed at the University of New Brunswick since 2009 as a graphic designer and e-learning developer.
- Freelance illustrator.
- My favourite foods include (but are not limited to): Dutch pancakes, ice-cream, chocolate sprinkles, home made bread with butter and old Dutch cheese.
- Key qualities: fast, reliable, and with a smile.
- My last name, Duijnstee, means "dwelling in the dunes" in Dutch. It's hard to pronounce correctly in English, but sounds something like Dœynstay or Downstay.
- You can order my novel, The Circus Was In Town, via Amazon (CA, UK, US) and Bol (NL).
- To keep art accessible to everyone, I have uploaded some of my illustrations to the public domain. You can download them via Pixabay.